Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Modern Poetry





Well, the point of this class is partly to discover the literary influence the Bible has over all works of literature. It's easy to pick out all of the writers of The Great Awakening, which I have already discussed. However, in line with another paper I need to write, I'd like to look at my favorite poet, Edgar Allan Poe.


I love, "The Raven." How could you not? But, rather than divulge into my many loves of this work, I'll tell you about the biblical influences in it.


First, there's the, "Balm of Gilead." Referencing the book of Jeremiah, in this context it is a resin used for medical purposes. Also, I'm a big fan of the name, "Gilead." It just sounds poetic to me! On top of that reference, he also uses the image of a Seraphim, a type of angel. Angels are great too; thanks Bible.


My favorite reference, though, can be deemed as a stretch. In the story of Noah's Arc, the raven (who is white at the time) is sent to check on the flood waters. When the little birdie slacks off and lingers out and about, he is punished by being turned black and cursed to eat carrion the rest of his life. Kinda lame to be cursed, but no biggie.


Anyway, I'd like to think a poet as awesome as Poe was well-versed in the Bible. Since he was, I can make the stretch that he knew the story of the raven as well as I do now. What better fitting image to use in his melancholy poetry than the original accursed messenger?

No comments:

Post a Comment