Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Who Does God Help?


A couple of weeks ago (I actually think it was over a month ago), Dr. Sexson proposed a question something along the lines of: "Where in the Bible does it say, 'God helps those who help themselves,'?"


Well, the first thought that came to my mind was the story of Jesus fasting for 40 days and nights while the devil tempted him for the whole ordeal. I remembered the devil telling Jesus to turn rocks into bread, since he was the Son of God. Jesus, of course, refused. Satan offered him all the lands of the earth if Jesus would just worship him. Jesus, once again, told him to beat it. The one that I have obviously misunderstood is the scene in which Satan tells Jesus to jump off the top of a church. Satan assures Jesus that angels will swoop down to save him, even quoting scripture in the process (Psalm 91: 11-12).


What I mis-remembered was that Satan didn't include the part of the scripture that states God only helps those that, "make the Most High (their) dwelling." Certainly you're not the most devoted to God if you feel jumping off of a church is a cool thing to do.


Another little tidbit of information I found while researching this, is that God actually helps the helpless, rather than those that help themselves. Romans 5:8 states that, "Thankfully, God is the helper of the helpless. While we were still sinners, Jesus died for us."


So... once again, Dr. Sexson proves himself correct. Not that I doubted him, I just don't like doubting myself. Anyway, prepare yourselves for multiple blogs to come. I think I might be getting the hang of this and I have plenty of "Blog Boxes" highlighted in my notes that I have for some reason neglected to explore until now.


Also, the picture is of Satan tempting Jesus during his 40 days of fasting. Thank you Wikipedia for your ever-flowing wisdom and links to other cool things.


No comments:

Post a Comment