Sunday, December 6, 2009

verum esse ipsum factum

I'm really loving the trip back through my notebook from this class. There's so much good stuff in it, and now that I'm maybe getting the hang of this blogging thing (although waaaaay too late in the semester) it feels much easier to explore some of the things I've jotted down this Fall.

My most recent find is a little quote in Latin from a pretty thoughtful dude named Vico. "Verum esse ipsum factum," meaning: "truth itself is fact," or,"truth itself is made." I really enjoyed finding this in my notes and realizing that it came up as a point of discussion in a "Biblical Studies" class. In my early days, I always thought of the Bible as a truth, that everything within it was truthful. After high school, a few years of college, and this class especially, I cannot bring myself to believe that completely. I'm still extremely faithful, maybe even more so than before, but I would rather view the truths in this world from Vico's standpoint rather than "the redactor's" standpoint.

I agree with Thomas' point he made during his term paper presentation, that the stories have important morals within them. I believe these morals to be truths made and tested throughout time, and therefore something to believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment